Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sister's Worth Celebrating - May 2008

Good Day Everyone,

I am your blog manager, Shanny. I will be formally introducing myself later this month.

This month in Sister's Worth Celebrating, I could not settle on one Sister. So, I am going to talk about a few and I want you all to share your thoughts. I also want you all to tell us about a Sister or Sisters you think are worth celebrating. The Sisters I have chosen are Mary McLeod Bethune, Mary Mahoney, The Square Rootz, Priscilla Maddox & Joan Reid.

Mary McLeod Bethune
was African-American teacher who, with only $1.50, began a school to help educate young African-American women. Sister Mary McLeod Bethune has inspired all of us to sisterhood and protecting our younger sisters. She also has shown us it does not take alot to start. I feel Sister Bethune's spirit throughout Sisters' Sanctuary, which is why I am a supporter. I am confident Sister Bethune would too.

Mary Mahoney was the first African American woman to study and work as a professionally trained nurse. Mahoney received her diploma from the New England Hospital in 1879, one of only four of 18 to pass the difficult course. So to all of those who are nurses and aspiring nurses, this is one of the Sister that paved they way for you. If you have a young lady that has shown interest in nursing make sure she knows who this woman is.

These next Sisters are a personal inspiration to me. I say personal, because they are running the type of business I am building at the moment. When I started researching Kitchen Co-ops, I found there were none in my area. I widen my area search and found an article entitled, 'Can’t Stand the Heat? Then Rent the Kitchen' by Joseph P. Fried from the New York Times. In his articles, he spotlights Priscilla Maddox & Joan Reid, the owners of Kitchen For Hire in Brooklyn. I was inspired by how these ladies well into retirement, decided to venture out onto something new. They shared a lot of information that helped me with what I needed to know about my business venture. I have recently had the opportunity to reach out to them an learn more. I celebrate these Sisters because they were not afraid to try and fail. We need to encourage ourselves, each other and our younger Sisters NOT TO BE AFRAID TO TRY AND FAIL.

Last, but not least The Square Rootz. I had the pleasure of interviewing these Sisters for my magazine. These young vibrate ladies bring color and inspiration to their movement. The present members are New Yorker native Kat Noel, Brooklyn born Boston raise Philly transplant Marly
Pierre-Louis and West Coast native Brooklyn transplant Jessica Jones. The have dubbed themselves the official street beaters. These Sisters aim to bring the African Diaspora together through event and media. These Sisters are also very active in their communities. The Square Rootz have formed to be another artery in the positive push for our young Sisters.

These Sisters have made a great impression on my life past, present and future. I only hope to be able to repay them, by making them same sort of impression in other Sisters' lives and paying my represents to them whenever I have the chance. In the upcoming months, I will be presenting more in depth spotlights on these women. Come back and learn more and be inspired more.


Mary McLeod Bethune
Mary Eliza Mahoney, R.N.
Kitchen For Hire
The Square Rootz




Who is the Sister You Celebrate? What does she do? Where is she from? When did you start to celebrate her? Why do you celebrate her? How do you celebrate her inspiration in your daily life?




Shanny aka Shanise B. is the creator/owner of The Akua Projects & Designs By ASH. She is a Philadelphia native and a life long activist for Sisterhood within the African Diaspora. Shanny became a supporter of Sisters' Sanctuary in 2006 and an active part of Sisters' Sanctuary in 2007. Shanny is a lover of creation and creative people. Shanny aspires to open her first brick and mortar business in 2009.

No comments: